The international economic environment surrounding Japan is changing rapidly as a result of the rise of emerging economies and other factors. These developments are both a tough challenge not only for the nation as a whole but also for regional economies and industries and at the same time an opportunity to expand new business chances. Internationalization in the regions is essential for the development of regional economies and the promotion of business with nearby countries and others. However, the overseas understanding of Japanβs regions, trade and investment relations, mutual exchange, and so on are not necessarily adequate. Therefore, in cooperation with regional Bureaus of Economy, Trade and Industry and respecting the initiative of the regions themselves, IIST has been implementing the International Economic and Industrial Exchange Program since fiscal 2002.
--Selection and Implementation of Projects--
Each fiscal year, under the guidance of the Trade Policy Division of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, IIST solicits project applications through regional Bureaus of Economy, Trade and Industry and selects and implements projects in consideration of such factors as planning content, budget scale, implementation date, support arrangements, and the region-project balance. The bureau concerned implements the project in cooperation with local governments, business organizations, and other related parties. In addition to financial assistance, IIST in particular provides support to utilize international know-how, such as the invitation of foreigners and diplomats.
--1. Project to Hold International Symposiums, Etc.--
IIST selects themes from among the issues faced by the Japanese and international economy, industry, and management and holds international symposiums, expert workshops, lecture meetings, discussion meetings, and so on attended by a wide range of related persons from Japan and overseas as well as general audience. IIST invites learned persons and experts from overseas to attend these events (or dispatches Japanese learned persons and experts overseas).
--2. Project to Promote Understanding of Regional Economies--
As part of its efforts to promote understanding of regional economies, IIST implements lecture meetings, training, industrial tours, and other activities for persons invited from overseas, embassy officials stationed in Japan, journalists based in Tokyo, businesspeople, and others to enable them to learn about the state of regional economies and main industries and other topics. This project also includes the holding of explanatory meetings overseas to introduce regions and attract investment.
--3. Project to Promote Business Exchange--
This project provides opportunities for exchange among Japanese and international businesspeople aimed at expanding mutual business chances. It includes the dispatch of missions overseas to engage in exchange.
- γ(Tohoku Region) Invitation of Experts to Promote Japanese Sake Overseas (FY 2013) [November 12-14, 2013]
- γFY 2012 Survey Mission on the Potentials of Shikoku Food Product Industry in the Mekong region (Vietnam) [October 14 -21, 2012]
- γ(Tohoku Region) Study tour for foreign-affiliated firms in Japan – Visits to Fukushima Prefecture – (FY2012) [October 3-4, 2012]
- γFY2012 Expert Invitation Aimed at Expanding Sales of Agricultural Machinery to Asia [September 3, 2012]
- γFY2012 Survey Mission Dispatch Aimed at Expanding Sales of Agricultural Machinery to Asia (Taiwan) [July 30 -August 4, 2012]
- γFY 2011 (Kansai Region): Chinese Water Business Symposium in Kansai —Exploring Water Treatment Needs in Guangdong Province, China—
- γ(Chubu region) Greater Nagoya – International Forum on Next-Generation Mobility (FY2010) [March 02, 2011]
- γ(Kansai Region) Kansai Investment Promotion Seminar and Tour-Attractive Kansai, Japan’s Capital of Biotechnology-βForefront of Regenerative Medicine and Outlook of Pluripotent Stem Cellsβ (FY2010) [December 09-10, 2010]
- γ(Chugoku region) Mission Dispatch Program: Research of Automotive Industory in INDIA & THAILAND (FY2010) [November 07-17, 2010]
- γ(Hokkaido region) Mission Dispatch Program: Project to Expand Hokkaido Brand Sales Routes in the East Asian Market Hokkaido Food Product Seminar in Dalian (China) (FY2010) [October 20, 2010]
- γ(Hokkaido region) Project to Expand Hokaido Brand Sales Routes in the East Asian Market Seminar to Open the Food Product Market in China (FY2010) [August 05, 2010]
- γ(Kansai region) Aircraft Industry Mission to US (FY2010) [March 01-06, 2010]
- γ(Hokkaido region) Mission Dispatch Program: Hokkaido Cold-District Housing Technology (Russia) (FY2009) [October 19-22, 2009]
- γ(Chubu Region) Greater Nagoya Cluster Forum 2009 (FY2009) [September 29, 2009]
- γ(Chugoku Region) Regional Automotive Industry Research & Exposition (Germany, France) (FY2009) [September 16-26, 2009]
- γ(Tohoku Region) “Invest Tohoku Seminar” & “Tohoku Industrial Tour” (FY2009) [January 14,22-23, 2009]
- γ(Kyushu region) Mission Dispatch Program: Business Networking Project in the Huadong Region of China (Suzhou-Shanghai Economic Mission) (FY2008) [November 04-07, 2008]
- γ(Okinawa region) Mission Dispatch Program: OKINAWA Wedding Business Mission in Hong Kong (China) (FY2008) [October 31 – November 04, 2008]
- γ(Hokkaido Region) Hokkaido Food Business Meeting in Hong Kong 2008 (FY2008) [September 23, 2008]
- γ(Hokkaido Region) Mission Dispatch Program: Iceland Technology Development Exchange: Developing new dairy products to revitalize economy and industry in Hokkaido (FY2008) [September 01-07, 2008]