(For the Japanese version of this article)

Workshop on Case Method Teaching Methodology: To Improve Discussion Leadership Skills for Learning Effectiveness [January 26-27, 2009]

Workshop on Case Method Teaching Methodology:
To Improve Discussion Leadership Skills for Learning Effectiveness


Outline


With the goal of popularizing and improving the quality of Case Method instruction, a workshop was held for educators who possess a certain amount of experience with the Case Method. The workshop instructor, Prof. Buenaventura Canto from AIM, has over 40 years of experience with the Case Method and has led programs at AIM to train teachers, improve discussion leadership skills, and design curriculum. In response to the call from past program participants for a program focusing on leading discussions, IIST extended an invitation to Prof. Canto and held a workshop to study and share practical knowhow for the purpose of improving skills, mainly targeting instructors who actually use cases in classroom management.


Organizd by: Case Center Japan (Institute for International Studies and Training (IIST))
Dates: January 26 (Monday)-27 (Tuesday), 2009
Place: TKP Toranomon Business Center, Tokyo


Participants


Approx. 30 persons, primarily university (graduate school) instructors, management consultants, etc.


Overview


The workshop examined how to lead discussions and improve class participants’ learning effectiveness in classes where cases are utilized for teaching. The program introduced and studied practical methods for class management, such as questions that deepen analysis and discussion, ways to respond, and to control the discussion. The workshop also covered the necessary work involved before and after a class, including how to establish learning goals and ways to evaluate class participants. The instructor and participants sought out more effective teaching techniques while sharing their own experiences.

Twenty-eight people joined the program. Most participants were university instructors and consultants who are in charge of management development. Of those, 76% had experience using the Case Method in their classrooms. In the feedback questionnaire filled out by every participant, 62% rated the overall workshop “extremely worthwhile,” and the remaining 38% said the workshop was “generally as I expected.” Eighty percent of participants stated that the 2-day program was “an appropriate length,” leading to the conclusion that the workshop as a whole was highly satisfactory.


PDF (59KB) Program


Prof. Canto talks about the learning contract

Prof. Canto talks about the learning contract

Prof. Canto leads a case discussion

Prof. Canto leads a case discussion


Class Discussion

Class Discussion




Human Resource Development Dept.

(For the Japanese version of this article)


| Top Page | Category: Case Center Japan |
Back number Search (FY2011- IIST e-Magazine):| Category Search | Keyword Search | Article List |
Back number Search (FY2001-FY2010 IIST WORLD FORUM Mail Magazine): | Keyword Search | Article List |